Sunday 7 April 2019

The way of the road

Reading Model Railway magazines never fails to provide solutions to problems........
 Something I'd deliberated over for some time was how to make the road and station approach to Lynton Station. The area could be quite a difficult profile to get right due to the sloping nature of the approach on Station Hill road and the goods yard area. I was considering whether  polyfilla plaster might be the answer but this would add weight to an already heavy structure.
Then helps comes in the form of  the April edition of Railway Modeller and an article by Gordon and Maggie Gravett on their superb Arun Quay.  The solution ( clearly known to any but me) was easy using modelling card. Modelling card is easy to form into subtle bends for slopes and as described by the article also easy to paint with standard household paints with an additional dusting of talcum powder to give that gravel effect. Hang on to that thought as I've fallen onto what could be an even easier method.  So with suitable card already to hand I set about the formation of the road way.
I'd seen Arun Quay quite recently at the Stafford Model Railway show and it is a truly wonderful piece of modelling excellence. If only I'd asked the question then !
Now the views around the Station are I feel ( to my old eyes anyway) starting to look a bit closer to the views seen of the real station in old photographs. So I could not resist trying a few views out as below. Yes there is some remedial work required on that station roof. In my defence the Outback model is not yet what I'd call finished.
You will notice in the background that the hillside has reappeared ( although in a state of build with basket liner thrown on for looks only - for artistic purposes of course)  and I'll post something on that soon. You see .......I did say I'd been busy!










No comments:

Post a Comment