Sunday 14 April 2019

Moving mountains

Well not exactly a mountain but the hillside behind Lynton station. The name of this hillside? I should know shouldn't I? Let me find out before the end of this post.
The whole of this hillside has been remodelled so as to allow easier access to the previously  inaccessible electrics ( note to myself - next layout - plan it !).
Three sections are removable and the pictures below show one section being removed.
You can see that I have included areas  for  allotment areas with which this hillside was littered with in operational L&B days although I might reduce their size and number.
A very rough start has been made on the grassland using hanging basket liner. The liner comes in rolls from my local garden centre this being a much cheaper way than model railway suppliers and was the method used on my original incarnation of Lynton. I use this two ways depending on the grassland I intend to reproduce that being either rough side up for more unmanaged grassland or smoother side up for more manicured. Both methods  on my original Lynton were then treated with Javis static grass as a mix of various grades and shades and applied simply with a Noch puffer bottle onto an area initially sprayed with scotch spray. I've recently invested in a static grass applicator and will try this on the new model. Other than that the liner here shown is as applied fresh or as rescued from the original. All of which will be given a fresh application of static grass. At this stage it looks very rough and messy and will require work to improve it more and harmonise the look so we should see a much improved finish to that seen here. The grassland by the bay road is the only area so far having had the grassland treated in such a way. Areas that will show the rough hewn rock are also in evidence.
The transformer sits safely in a Walls Ice cream tub ( keeping the electrics nice and cool of course but I  must add a warning sign ) and you will also notice work has been done on the areas surrounding the track bringing the track formation up to spec.
Oh yes....the hilside doesn't have a name.




No comments:

Post a Comment