Tuesday 19 March 2019

Signalling

Although it's been quiet on the blog of late I have actually been quite busy. I hope to share a few updates to the blog in due course. I have had a few words with the management in Pilton and voiced my concerns over the lack of progress of late. Seems the staff were getting a little bit bored with buildings and the general procrastination over the final details of the buildings . In effect what we now have are duplicates of just about everything at Lynton station. We have two station buildings , one made from scratch of Pre 1927 Southern extension and a post 1927 version. We have 2 goods sheds ( in 1928 the chimney stack was was increased in height by 10 courses) and we have 2 engine sheds , the original being extended in 1909. Why on earth have we dedicated so much time to making two of everything and what time period is the layout to be ? So that set me thinking about the way ahead. We can sort of say we hit the buffers. So a decision was made that for the time being we park the decision. The decision is on hold and we know at least that we have , well, two of just about everything. Useful , really.
In 1924 the Southern erected two bracket signals ( ah ha ! Two , yes indeed) and I've made an attempt at one so far using Model Signal Engineering (MSE)  parts but mostly I used components from the Ratio L.N.W.R kit square post signals. The reference number on the box being 477. In fact  I had bought everything I needed from MSE to make 2 bracket signals. The Ratio conversion was intended to be a trial effort ( having never made a working signal in my life ) before then attempting the scratch build using the MSE parts. This trial model has become my one and only signal so far. But the good news is that kit 477 has enough to parts to make 2 of course .It's taken ages but quite satisfying.....and it works. What I mean by that is the little arms go up and down like they should. I even employed cocktail sticks for the blobby bits on the top ( Finial)  Not fully painted below but I hope to show more progress soon.
Some little pictures here


No comments:

Post a Comment